Saturday, April 7, 2007

Laptop blues

I miss my laptop.
I miss writing on it.
I miss the freedom of being able to connect to the internet whenever I want, and from my bedroom, even if the connection is dial-up and pretty slow.
I find it hard to write real stuff, different from a diary, on paper. Stories always come to me better on the computer. But then, I need space and time. I need the space to put my own music, or none if I wish to. And the time to get up and grab a cup of herbal tea, or go and take a bath, before resuming my writing. All of that is not possible in internet cafes.
Internet cafes are fine for checking emails, or placing ads online. That's OK.
But they don't work well for creativity.
The good thing is, I have learnt an awful lot about myself and my use of computers in the last while where I have been weaned off my laptop. And now that I know all that, I can't wait to get it back.
And now I am late in my writing assignment. I really thought I would make it, thinking a couple of hours in an internet cafe on top of what I had written on paper would nail it. But last night as I sat in front of the computer at the back of the video shop in Claregalway, it felt very clear that I wasn't going to write a bit. So I emailed my tutor instead, apologising for the delay and explaining my circumstances. Hopefully it will be alright. Well it really has to be.
OK I'll stop lamenting now and will get out in the sun, enjoying a good book, or maybe strolling amongst tourists and pink Irish people in Shop Street.
Talk soon, and Happy Easter!!

No comments: