Friday, April 13, 2007

The laptop adventures

What a day!
I have been swimming in a surreal atmosphere since I woke up this morning.
It only just got better now, after just getting my laptop back!!
Here is what happened.
Last week, just before Easter, I called the repair guys, asking what was going on with the laptop and if the missing part had been received, and I was told that yes, and that the laptop had left the workshop on Wednesday, so I should receive it, considering Easter, on Wednesday this week.
When I saw that I had received nothing on Thursday, I called again and, after being redirected from here to there, calling a number in the UK many times and waiting on hold for many long minutes, I was told that it should be delivered that day (Thursday, so) and that if it wasn't, here was the Galway number where I could check up on the delivery today.
So this morning, as nothing had arrived yesterday, I called, and was told that I could go to the depot (only about 5 min drive from my place) and collect it.
I jumped into my clothes, and drove there like a mad woman, just couldn't wait to have the computer back, after all that waiting time!
Only when I got there, there was no laptop of mine to be found. And the guy at the depot soon found that it had been signed for yesterday by a J McGrath. That sounds like my landlord's name, so I went home, called my landlord to check if maybe he took it for me. I was a bit surprised, as I had seen him the night before, and he had never mentioned anything. Knowing him, that was weird.
And sure enough, he never knew anything about a laptop, and wasn't even home until 6pm yesterday! So it wasn't him.
I went to see his wife, catching her at her morning tea in her bathrobe (it was not even 9am by then), and asked her if she knew anything about it. She didn't, but checked with her sister in law, who lives opposite my cottage, if she had received it by chance. No luck there either.
I was running out of guesses, so decided to call the carrier again and see where it had been delivered exactly. It turned out the driver had left a slip in the letter box of some house he thought to be mine, and a woman had called back, saying she knew me, and the laptop had been delivered again, and subsequently signed for by J McGrath.
I found out after a few more calls that some guy in a black BMW actually met the driver half way and collected the laptop directly. Incredible isn't it?
I thought, only in Ireland would things be so easy going that something like that could happen...
Anyway, it took a lot of calls, worries, strange scares and interesting stories about the neighbours who apparently got my laptop (you see apparently four police cars were seen around the place last weekend, and at another occasion men were spotted, carrying boxes around the place with rubber gloves... Juicy rumours heh?) to finally get it back.
Of course the charger didn't come back with it, so I still have to call the repair guys on Monday and have a pleasant phone call, but at least I have the laptop!! Woooooohooooo!!
OK I'll leave it at that for today, but I'd say I'll spend quite a bit of time on the laptop, and on the internet, in the next few days. After all I have many internet hours to use for the rest of the month now!

2 comments:

Steve Coxsey said...

Armelle, you have the wonderful foundation for a short story or a novel. If you're into mystery writing, action adventure, or comedy of circumstances, you could have a blast adding more twists and turns to your laptop adventure. Where could it lead? Hmmm....

Unknown said...

Hi Steve!
Thanks for your comment. Interestingly, I observed the whole situation all day long, and noticed many times how much fun it would be to write something about it, or to make a great fiction piece out of it. Right now life is a bit too busy to do it straight away, but as soon as the move settles down, I am sure it will mature into something interesting... Thanks for following my blog and for your comment!