Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Galway summer

I checked yesterday, and it seems they are waiting for some parts before I can get my laptop back. So far, no idea when I will get it back.
So I continue with internet cafes every so often. It is not that bad really. So far I manage.
Today has been a gorgeous day so far, still is. Very sunny, almost warm, certainly very warm for Ireland at this time of the year. Not one cloud. And anyone who has ever been in Ireland will know that THAT is rare.
We had our Tai Chi class outside, right beside the river, and we could hear the water and the seagulls while we were moving slowly, breathing in breathing out, and staying centered. A nice big white dog even came to visit us, drawing a smile from our focussed faces. Then I had my lunch at a terrace outside, followed by a lovely coffee, and it felt like the tourist season really has started. The pedestrian streets were full of people strolling, laughing and taking pictures. It felt like summer.
I like the summer in Galway. It feels like everything, and everyone, becomes easier. Suddenly there is no rush anymore. People sit at cafe terraces, or on the grass at the Spanish Arch near the river and in Eyre Square. More people play music on the streets. Women wear tiny tops and short skirts, men T-shirts and sunglasses, all Irish-skinned people are as red as lobsters by noon, but stay in the sun anyway, making sure they won't be able to lie down on any of their sides at night for a while. It seems sunblock is uncool.
Well I have to say the sun in Ireland is unexpectedly strong, and it happened to me quite a few times to get sunburnt, even though I am dark-skinned by Irish standards, and tan easily. The thing is, there is always wind around here, and it is never really warm, so people don't feel how much the sun actually burns.
I am going to go back home now, back to my list of things to do and my books to read and to write.
My heart is light throughout this transition.
I know I will miss Ireland when I leave.
I also know it will always stay with me no matter where I go.

No comments: