Thursday, March 22, 2007

The joy of internet cafes

I didn't post in a long time - almost a week now.
I miss it. But really depending on internet cafes is not the best thing to run a blog.
I usually just run in, check my emails, reply to the absolute necessary, and run out again, often without even logging onto my blog.
I thought I would post today, because I probably won't post for another week at least, as I have a friend coming over tonight to stay for ten days. I am planning on doing a bit of sightseeing with her, maybe going to the North of Ireland, visiting areas I have never seen like the Giants' Causeway, and going back down through Newgrange and Tara, which I have also surprisingly never seen. I can't quite imagine stopping in the middle of the journey to write on my blog - although I am quite sure she wouldn't mind. We'll see.
Well, the last week has been interesting, with my laptop getting picked up for repair, and then I went to spend the weekend at a friend's house near Louisburgh, in county Mayo. The weather was very strange, reliably unpredictable, with hail alternating with sleet, heavy rain and sun, with gusty winds as a common factor. I even saw a snowstorm!! Amazing.
These frequent changes in the weather meant the lights and skies were always gorgeous and unusual, and I took pretty nice pictures.
It made me think that I wouldn't mind being a part time professional photographer. Landscape photographer mostly I'd say. I am not so interested in portraits, but love to catch an interesting light, particularly vibrant colours or a fleeting but beautiful rainbow. I'll have a look into what I'd need to do that.
I also reflected a bit on what I want to do, and found that I would enjoy working with wine. I remember the two seasons I spent working in the lab of a wine cooperative as some of my best work experience as a student, and I enjoyed the whole wine culture an awful lot.
And hey, if I want to go to California, it's not a bad thing to do!
Maybe I'll find a summer course in oenology in France. That's the advantage of coming from the Bordeaux area I guess...
OK better go back, I have heaps of things left (you know, ironing, cleaning kinda things...) to do before picking up my friend at the airport just after 7pm. I'll try and post soon enough again though.
I really can't wait to have my laptop back, and the freedom of connecting onto the internet whenever I want to.

No comments: