Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Relief and tiredness

Well, it is now just after 7pm, and I feel like I could go to bed right now and I would probably sleep through to the morning...
Now that the whole story is finished, packed and sent (thank God for Express Post), the adrenaline is down, and I can really feel the lack of sleep.
But I am happy. I did it.
I ended up modifying quite a few things this morning before going to Tai Chi, and working a good two hours on the story before printing it.
My story is set in a small town in the West of Ireland, around where I live (although it is an imaginary town really), and I had my character getting ill and having to go to hospital, which I had set in the same town, until I realised this morning that it doesn't work. The only hospital around here is in Galway, so my character just had to go to Galway. So I had to edit a couple of paragraphs, and it was fun to actually get out the map of Galway to make sure I was mentioning the right street names and taxi ranks, which really are the places where I go every time I am in town. I feel that it made my story sound much more real than before.
Of course I didn't have time to get the story proofread by a native speaker, so I can only hope that I didn't make major mistakes. But I read a few paragraphs aloud, and it felt good. The story flows well. And now it is gone, so we'll see what happens.
No matter what, I am quite proud of having written my longest story so far, over 5000 words (just over 15 pages double spaced).
And now I can rest. I will have to anyway, as I am giving my computer for repair on Friday, and it will be gone for 7-10 working days.
I will need to start working on my next assignment for the writing course though, as it is due on the 6th of April. It is only a 1000 words assignment though, I can write it on paper until I get the laptop back.
I think I am going to take it easy tonight, maybe watch a movie (I bought a DVD of Sideways, as it is set in the area I want to go to in California - I had watched it in the cinema, but I would like to watch it again to get a better feel of the landscapes. Might do that tonight), or read a book (have just started Pride and Prejudice, alongside the other 2-3 books I am reading).
Life is good really.

No comments: