Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Messiah

Today I found myself in town with a mission. I had just had breakfast with a friend I hadn't met in a long time, and after leaving the café, I thought that I didn't have any CD with a proper version of Haendel's Messiah, and suddenly I absolutely needed one, today.
So I went to a few different music stores, many had a very poor choice of classical music, only things like "Chill out with Haendel" or so, which didn't really address my need.
At last I remembered that little music shop on Middle street, that often has many unusual CDs. I had bought the whole collection of George Winston CDs there many years ago. And sure enough, they had a complete version of the Messiah, directed by Edward Higginbottom and sung by the Choir of New College Oxford, played by the Academy of Ancient Music. I listened to the two CDs in one go as soon as I was home, and could feel tears coming up to my eyes at the fresh sound of beautifully trained young voices. It is a lovely version, with children singing the soprano voice, and a countertenor for the alto arias. The tenor and bass have perfect voices for Baroque music, and a depth that reaches the core of my being, hitting me somewhere behind my stomach, knotting my throat with emotion.
I have to admit that the Messiah is an old favourite of mine. I can listen to it again and again, and it holds memories of some of my happiest times with my family, where we were all singing For unto us a Child is born, or listening to my brother imitating the trumpet, then singing The trumpet shall sound. Oh yes, we shared, and still share, many beautiful moments every time we meet and gather around the piano, feeling the warmth deep in our heart as we let the peace, the love and the happiness of being together wash over us with the music's rhythmical waves.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How I agree with the happiness that music in the family gives. Thank you for saying it that way

marble said...

I still cry when it gets to the part "and he shall be call-led: WONDERFUL! COUNSELOR! The Mighty God. . . .The Everlasting Father. . . .The Prince of Peace! I can't even type those words without hearing that amazing music.

Unknown said...

I was listening to it again, and it just pulls tears for me every time! And yes, Unto Us A Child Is Born is amazing, especially in my version where it is a children choir singing it. Such pure and beautiful voices.