Thursday, March 15, 2007

The morning after

OK so the short story is now sent, the deadline is over, and I did it.
Now what?
Today I slept late, making up for the lost sleep of the night before. I then met up with a friend who had invited me for lunch in the new hotel in Ballybrit, and that was lovely.
But when I arrived home afterwards, around 3:30pm, I thought great, but what do I do now?
So I ended up watching Sideways in the middle of the afternoon. I am not sure it is exactly where I want to go in California, might be a little bit more South, but still these vineyard landscapes are fabulous, basking in an amazing golden light.
And after the movie the question came back poking at me.
It is amazing how the aftermath of adrenaline filled days such as the ones running up to a deadline can feel empty and slightly depressing. Almost like a hangover.
I know what is coming. Days of sorting stuff, checking out what I really want to keep or what I have to leave behind when I leave Ireland, keeping in mind that I can only take with me one car load of stuff. Not to mention the administrative things to go through, accounts to close and all the other activities linked to leaving a country. And all that sort of things.
But right now, I can feel the adrenaline is down, there is no rush, nothing really matters anymore, and it feels slightly empty.
I was thinking yesterday that I actually like deadlines, especially the last few days before the date due, as they are so productive and creative. I also like the very first moments after I meet the deadline, the relief, pride, deep breaths. But the day after feels strange.
Until I start working on the next deadline...
Oh and by the way, I might not post anything for a while, as I am sending my laptop for repair tomorrow afternoon, and won't have it for a couple of weeks, so my posts will follow my visits to internet cafés.