Monday, March 12, 2007

Almost finished!

Well, I am in the last straight line, and can already see the finish line with my short story for the contest. The temptation is big to just go to bed and sleep right now. Thoughts like "it's almost finished, I can do the rest tomorrow" or "I'll manage somehow even if I don't do more today" go through my head, but I know I really should finish it tonight, so I can give myself tomorrow evening to go over the whole story, edit bits and pieces, and print it.
It's true, I am tired, and would rather just forget about the whole thing and dig a little hole in the earth, cuddle up and fall asleep, but I can feel that is just avoidance. I know better than that. That sudden tiredness so early in the evening is telling me something.
I know, another 700-1000 words and the whole story will be finished. Wow. It is the longest story (it will probably be about 4500-5000 words, or 15 pages, by the time I finish it) I have ever written. Just as such, it is an achievement.
Err... Or maybe I should finish it before I celebrate...
Let's not sell the bear's skin before killing the bear, like they say in French.
OK I will just take a small break and get back to it.
And tomorrow I am working at the organic farm, so that will take my mind off it, and I should be able to get back to it in the evening with a fresh mind and new insights to edit and enhance it.
Yes I know. It will all be OK.

2 comments:

Jane Marla VerDow said...

Keep going!!!! Almost...Finished!

The best writing space is between the almost and finished. Always.

And yes, the fresh air and "organic" soil will feed the edits.

Best wishes on your growing writing success. I truly enjoy your blog!

Sincerely,
Jane Marla VerDow

Unknown said...

Thanks Jane! I finally did it.
Gee I guess I need the adrenaline to do things, really leaving them to the very last minute...
In the meantime I am enjoying your book immensely, the reading is flowing well now and I read a few pages every night. I can identify with many of the things you wrote, about being a loner, youngest of the family with a big age gap, and the only one my age in the whole family...