Saturday, February 24, 2007

New times, new things

I noticed that every time I start a new chapter of my life, I feel like having new things, like a new car, new clothes, a new phone, or a new place to live.
It is as if my expansion needed to express itself in its surroundings, and if anything feels too old, too small or limiting, it has to go and give way to something bigger, newer and better altogether.
I remember when I moved from my tiny flat in the west side of Galway to the big 4-bedroom house (on my own!!) in the east side (April last year)... After about a week in the new house I felt like I needed to change my car and my mobile phone as well. My little 3-door Renault Clio in particular felt way too small to host my new expanded me, and I shuddered every time I left the house and saw it parked on the street. So I bought a much nicer, newer, and bigger Mazda 3 that felt like I had enough space in it to share it, bring people around, and breathe with ease.
Same thing with my mobile phone. I liked my Nokia but felt like I had it too long and needed something newer, so I bought a brand new Motorola that had plenty of amazing features I ended up never using.
I found myself yesterday longing yet again for a new phone. So I dug out my old Nokia from my drawer, slid my SIM card into it and switched it on.
It was very strange to find old text messages from a year ago. After allowing waves of memories to wash over me for... well a few minutes (after all it was the phone I had during my last relationship), I deleted all the old stuff and changed the ring tones, and now it feels almost like a new phone! And the sound is really much better than the Motorola. However the screen definition is much worse, and it is a very small screen after the Motorola. I think I will probably end up buying a new phone altogether, as I don't like the feeling of going backwards, but for now the Nokia will do.
I used to find it hard to get rid of things, and tended to just keep the whole lot (even bus and metro tickets), so I needed more and more space to hoard it all, but now I feel ready to let go of things. Books I won't read again, CDs I never listen to, and phones I won't use anymore can go. As a matter of fact, I will try and sell the Motorola now, and as soon as I get a new phone, I'll sell the Nokia as well. I can feel, when I get rid of these things, the free space that welcomes new things, experiences and people.
And that is what transition is about isn't it? Letting go of the old, to welcome the new...

No comments: