Friday, February 16, 2007

Go with the flow

That's what I am trying to do - or rather, let's say that's what I am doing. Let's stay positive.
You see, last week I got myself into a huge feeling of stress, whereas really, if I look at my life right now, there is not much to stress about. But it is quite easy to forget that right now, I have enough money to be OK doing nothing, and that I have time to just explore exactly what it is I want to do.
So instead, I started to think that if I really want to walk the path to Santiago in May, I should start training now, and that if I want to leave Ireland in April, I probably should start thinking about the administration of it all, e.g. selling my car, getting rid of all the stuff I won't bring back with me, etc..., and also I should start going around Ireland, and visiting all the places I have never seen (e.g. the Giants Causeway, Newgrange, Tara, etc...) and that I really want to see before I leave. Not to mention organising the trip for my parents to come over here with the car, as they will help me to bring back the stuff I want to keep to France.
And there I could have screamed. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHH!!
So I have spent this week relaxing, refocusing myself so I can think mostly about things that inspire me, and make me want to continue, and to expand. I kept remembering that life is as beautiful and as easy as I make it, and that if I don't stress myself out, I can create a fabulous time for myself!
On Monday, I made a collage with pictures of all the things/situations I want, and have ended up with an A2 size collage, that I hung beside my bed, so it is the first, and last thing I see every day. That gives me a beautiful, joyful and peaceful feeling, and it really does keep me motivated.
I spent one hour meditating on beautiful music every day, and that also helped to keep me in a space that feels good. Also, I haven't done anything I didn't feel like doing. So I woke up late most days, wrote quite a bit, but enjoyed every time I did, talked to friends and family, and had great laughs with them, and ate out many times. And, guess what! I didn't clean anything in the house this week!! Wow! What a week!
Now I can imagine that next week will be a little bit more structured, but I liked the feeling of freedom this week, of really being nice to myself and listening to what my heart was saying. And I want to continue that.
I also started to listen to my feelings more, and to watch what I was thinking when I realised I was feeling worried, scared, tight, or bad in some way. When I identified the thought that caused the bad feeling, I looked for thoughts that felt more uplifting, and more relaxing, and could feel immediately the change in how I was feeling.
I had a prime example of that today: I was driving into town, to meet up with a friend for lunch, and started feeling worried. I looked at what I was thinking, and realised I was thinking about my computer, and about a software program I bought on the web at the beginning of the week, and that is not working as well as I think it should. I had sent an email to the support team, who promise on their site that they answer emails within 24 hours, but still have received no answer. And I was thinking about the next email I might send to them, choosing the words in my head that might tell them of how annoyed and disappointed I was with my purchase and with their misleading support claims. So there I caught myself, and decided to change my thoughts. I focused on the fact that my laptop is working so well, and that I enjoy working with it so much. I told myself that the program I bought is useful and working well on my PC, and that I will get an answer from them at the perfect time. And immediately I could feel my stomach muscles relaxing, my frown easing into a relaxed smile, and I felt much better!!
So that's what I want to do from now on: always go with the flow, and watch my feelings so I can change my thoughts when I don't feel so good.

No comments: