Monday, January 7, 2008

Isabel Allende

Just watched the House of Spirits on TV, and then there was a beautiful documentary on Isabel Allende, where she talked about her life and books.
She is such an inspiration.
Watching her talk fast in Spanish - with a French voice-over - and I feel her spirit. I feel as though she is my sister. As if our souls are related. I feel her. I know what she means. My stomach churns at the thought of what she went through. Her characters grip me and speak to me so deeply I can barely hear their voice. She knows how to get through to the place where there are no words anymore, where a look is enough, where things are felt that can't be expressed, because no language has enough words.
She is there.
I read her books and feel like she read my soul. I read her books and I feel like I remember.
That's why I write. That's how I want to write.

No comments: