Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Soon back to the mountain

These days I don't seem to manage to walk a lot.
Well, between 16 and 20km a day, not more.
Yesterday I was thinking of walking 30 km almost, my feet felt good in the morning and all, but when I arrived in SantibaƱez de Valdeiglesias, the village seduced me so much that I had to stay there. We ended up being only 4 pilgims in the albergue that night, so we had a whole room each, and a beautiful dinner with spaghettis cooked the real way by the Italian hospitalero. It was really great. And this morning the sunrise was absolutely fabulous over a landscape of hills with fields of cereal nearly ready to harvest, forests, and little rabbits who were stopping to look at me on the stony path.
I enjoyed stopping in Astorga for almost 3 hours, taking in the atmosphere or the town, visiting the cathedral and eating some of the specialties. After that I thought I would still have 10km in the legs, but my feet categorically refused to go further after 5km. So I am staying in a wonderful little albergue in Murias de Rechivaldo, in an old house typical of the area, and will attack the mountain tomorrow. Tomorrow is quite a tough day, as we go from about 900m, to 1500 in maybe 10-15km. and then we go down again even lower, in less kilometers.
I am looking forward to the climbing bit, as the flat spaces of the Meseta are not as gentle on the feet as it seems, especially with all the stones.
My feet are ok, I am dealing with the blisters, which are thankfully not too painful, and just listen to them telling me when to stop. I received today a foot massage from a German lady who is set up in the village here, and she told me at the end that basically I am not a walker, my feet are small and narrow for my height and weight, and of course I have problems. However she gave me hope that they'll get used to it after some time. :-)
Thank God!

No comments: