Saturday, June 9, 2007

25km, and a small tendinitis

Would you believe that it is possible to have a tendinitis on the top of the foot?
Well, I have one since the day before yesterday.
Not bad though, and I have bought a homeopathic antiinflammatory cream that seems to help a lot, as well as sort of elastic bandages to put around the metatarsal area, and that have a sort of antishock gel pad underneath for walking. I walked with these today and my foot wasn't swollen when I arrived, even though I walked 25km.
I had planned on walking about 19km, but I met a lady in Reliegos, about 6km before the town where I wanted to stop, and she told me about this new albergue that was great and had plenty of space, but was another 12km further. So I walked until there.
The last 6km were a bit tougher, as it was getting hot, and the road was straight and uninteresting (right beside a national road loaded with traffic) so I busied my mind counting my steps or singing (yes, yes, sounds weird but hey, you don't know what you would do to make these last kilometers pass quicker!) and before I expected it, I arrived!
That makes tomorrow much easier, as I have only 12 km before arriving in León, and I have the choice then: either I like the town, and spend my saved energy walking about and visiting, or I want to escape the hustle and bustle as soon as possible, and I have enough strength to continue to the next village.
So we'll see how it goes tomorrow. In the meantime I need to go into town to buy some food for tonight, as there is a nice kitchen here where it would be nice to eat with the other pilgrims (what's more I had a big lunch around 3pm when I arrived so I certainly don't need a big dinner as well).
It is interesting how the camino is changing. At the beginning, it seemed that the same people were walking together, and it felt like a big family. Now, people are more on their own. I meet some people again, but usually 2 or 3 days in a row and then I lose them again. People seem to need the tribe less, and be more on the way towards themselves. It is an interesting time for me as well, and I like everything about the journey, even the sore feet...

No comments: