Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Santiago

That's it!
I am in Santiago since 2pm today!
I had to walk 30km yesterday, so that there were about 20-22 left today.
The entrance into the city was not so nice, right beside the road, with many cars and lorries circulating at very high speed, or so it seemed to me.
Then again, at the moment even bicycles seem fast.
My feet were pretty sore after the 30km yesterday - imagine, I arrived at the albergue shortly before 6 pm, and I had been walking since 7:30am! But I was proud of myself.
Tomorrow, I have taken my decision now, I will start walking towards Fisterra. I'd like to take my time to get there, i.e. take 4 days instead of 3 times 30km as planned. I will have to have a 34km day anyway due to the lack of accomodation between the two places, but any time I don't have to, I won't. And I'd like to get there for the full moon, which is on the 30th of June. So leaving tomorrow gives me exactly the time to get there.
Then, I'll come back to Santiago on Sunday, and will stay here until Tuesday morning where I have my train back to France. That will close the adventure.

So you will ask, I can almost see you mouth half open, waiting and expecting, what about Santiago?
Well, I haven't reached enlightenment just because I arrived here, went into the cathedral, got the compostela or visited the tomb of the apostle. It is as I expected, very touristic, many people everywhere, also beggars, which I didn't expect, and many many many tourist shops.
It is also a very beautiful city. The centre has many amazing buildings, and it is nice to walk in.
I found it very hard to find the cathedral. I expected to see it from far away, potentially from 5 km or so, but really there was nothing to be seen until 100m beforehand, if even. That made the entrance into the city feel even longer and harder. My feet started to get sore, it was tough. But it was nice to make it and have a feeling of completion.
However, I can feel that there is something calling me, pulling me to Fisterra and to the sea, and I can feel that the end of my pilgrimage is in four days, not now.
So I'll let you guys know how it goes. I find it hard to relax now and feel that I have achieved something. I haven't had time to get to the pilgrim mass - which is at 12pm every day - so I'll do that when I come back. Then it will be over.

No comments: