Sunday, June 24, 2007

Fleas...

Yep! That was missing so far...
But 2 or 3 days before Santiago - depending of how much I manage to walk tomorrow - I got fleas.
Or something similar. I have been bitten or stung over my whole body yesterday afternoon until this morning, and have now many extremely itchy red patches all over the place, especially the arms, hands, neck, shoulders, legs, feet, etc...
I walked the whole day concentrating on not scratching, and my first concern when I arrived in the albergue in Melide was to make sure there was a washing machine so I could wash absolutely everything I have including the sleeping bag. And, oh joy, there was one! And even a dryer! So all of my clothing possessions passed through the whole cycle and hopefully the heat and detergent killed any animal that dared taking refuge in my stuff and use my skin as a kitchen. So now, at least psychologically, it feels better.
I have also bought an antihistamin cream and tablets, just in case, and new ear plugs in case the old ones are infested...
Ha! Interesting itchy times, but I suppose it's part of it as well, and I can show my flea scars as well as my blister scars when I come back!
Apart from that, the weather has been sunny for two days and it is a pleasure to walk, especially as it is not too hot. Perfect. Hope it holds.
Ah yeah, and I ate octopus today! It is a specialty of the area, and very tasty as well. Only a bit weird to eat the tentacles, and especially to see them cook whole in huge copper cauldrons full of water.
Time is accelerating as I reach Santiago in so few days. We'll see what the next days hold in store.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Armelle,

That's too bad about the fleas...there's nothing worse then feeling itchy all the time. A baking soda bath helps soothe the itch as well. I feel itchy just thinking about it. lol.

I can't believe you ate octopus! Is it chewy...does it have a fishy taste to it or what? I can't imagine.

I can't believe you're almost to Santiago...your destination. You've been gone a long time. I miss you...it'll be nice to have you back again but I'm sure it'll be weird getting back to your normal surroundings after being gone for so long. Hope you can start your book as soon as possible...I want a copy. Someday, I'd like to get to meet you in person so I can get you to autograph it personally...lol.

Take care and God Bless!!

Della