Saturday, June 16, 2007

Rain, love and laughter

It feels like I haven't been on the internet forever, and yet it is only 3 days. Funny how time is all relative. At the same time I can't believe that it is already Saturday. Today is the 30th day that I am on my way.
And yesterday was exactly one moon, as I started on the last new moon.
Now I have climbed up and down the mountain I was talking about last time. The walk up was nice, the walk down beautiful but a bit tiring for the knees and thighs (I can feel it today) - we went up about 600m in 5-6 km, and down 1000m in also 5-6km.
There is something special about the mountains. It is another world up there. The villages are different, people are different, nature is different. It is hard and peaceful at the same time.
The last 2 days have been incredible.
I had a beautiful experience with rain. The day before yesterday I was walking up, until Foncebadón. And from Rabanal del Camino until Foncebadón, where it was going up the most steeply, it started raining. When I say raining, it was really pouring!! Incredible!
Within less than 10 min I was soaked. My trousers were sticking to my legs, and little by little I could feel that I was only wearing them for decency reasons, as really they didn't protect me at all anymore. And, my shoes started getting wet also. I don't know if the gore-tex suddenly had enough and gave up, or if the socks getting wet started filling the shoes with water, so that every step made a nice splashing sound. The mountain was probably beautiful, but I didn't get much of it, first because I couldn't see much past the front of my hood, and also because I had no inclination to try and do so...
Suddenly I saw a couple walking before me, maybe 20 m ahead. It reassured me, at least I wasn't the only one battling with the rain. Suddenly, as I looked up, they stopped, in the middle of the rain, and exchanged a passionate kiss that lasted at least 30 seconds.
After the original surprise, I could only smile when I passed beside them and greeted them - and realised they were a Spanish couple well into their 40s or 50s. And something shifted in me. I started to smile in the rain. I was wet anyway, so I might as well enjoy this rain that was beautiful and regenerating and freeing in a way. And I started to be thankful. Thankful that my feet were not too sore, that my jacket was completely waterproof, and that my rucksack was also protected, which meant that I would be able to change into dry clothes as soon as I arrived. And the more I was thankful, the more I smiled, the better I felt.
I even had to laugh out loud a few times.
It was just beautiful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow,Armelle,
You really should right a book about this when you get back because to me...it already feels like I'm reading a novel about your adventure. Your descriptions of things makes me want to read more...it's all so beautiful. It's sort of hard to wait til the next chapter...lol.

I'll be glad when you return to the forum...it feels dead or like there's no one here. I commented on something on Monday and I still haven't seen anything new. It's sad really...either everyone's so busy or everyone's given up on the forum or I really need to get a life. lol

I'm so glad that your experience is going so well...even things like the downpour that normally wouldn't be a good thing has managed to be something so wonderful. I love it. It'll be interesting to see how this changes your life when you get back home. How your outlook on life will be!

Anyway, I've talked long enough, bye for now...God Bless and take care. And hopefully, I'll hear from you soon.

Della

Anonymous said...

Hey Armelle,
Your description of the mountains being hard and peaceful at the same time is exactly the way I feel about them. They are so rugged and life there can be so tough, so the people are much more self-sustaining. Their lives are shaped by the mountains.

For me, mountains are life-giving and soul-satisfying. They ground me, humble me, yet give me profound joy. They will change you, my friend, deep inside. You will always feel their magic.

Peace be with you,
StellaD

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your comments and support guys!
And Della, yes I think I will write a book or something about it. I have almost finished my 240 pages diary, and have many impressions, feelings, emotions, encounters, etc... very alive in my memory and heart. I am pretty sure something will come out of it in one form or another.
It will be strange to go back. But we'll see how I manage to adapt to "normal life" again...
Here was for me thinking that it would help me to transition from Ireland to the next step...

Stella, about the mountains, well maybe that's why my vision of my house in Northern California is actually sitting with a mountain in the back!