Monday, April 28, 2008

Commitment

OK.
I am going to raise the heat here. For myself.
I will share with you the decision I have made. Which makes me then accountable.
My birthday is on Friday. I turn 30 on Friday, and I have decided to offer myself the gift of clarity for my birthday.
A few days ago I received a newsletter I get regularly from Tama Kieves at http://www.awakeningartistry.com/
She talked about commitment.
The paragraph that most hit home was:
When I was deciding what career direction to move in, I was terrified of making a mistake. I didn't want to waste my time, so of course I wasted my time by obstinately not doing anything. I didn't want to go forward in the wrong direction. But the problem was-- I wasn't going forward in any direction. After a while, options turn into dead fish. They start smelling up the room. It's the aroma of guilt and waste and passing time. You need to use your options while they're fresh. I felt haunted and frustrated and depleted all at the same time. Finally, a friend of mine said to me "Why not commit fully for now? You don't have to commit to forever. Just commit fully for now."

That felt like I was reading exactly about myself. And it was uncomfortable.
And then she said: "Commitment brings clarity".

So these last few days are filled with nervousness, fear and excitement while I survey what my options are, and spend time feeling where my heart wants to go.
Holy crap. Now I am really accountable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Accountable"? To what? To whom? FOR what?

By the way, there's no such thing as 'commitment for the time being'.

There's commitment - and there's NO commitment.

Commitment "for now" is another way of "going with the flow". Doing "what feels good" - "whatever moves you" - until something else comes along. In other words: NO commitment.

"Commitment brings clarity"?!

Please.

Your 'inspirational' writer can't even get commitment right.

Please get this clear: you haven't committed to ANYthing, this posting does not make you accountable for anything or to anyone, and you have no more clarity about the 'what-next' than you did before you read the newsletter which apparently prompted your posting and the promised gift of "clarity" to yourself on Friday.

You don't have the "gift of clarity" to give yourself. I hate to be the one to tell you. You don't have that power.

You do have the power to DO things. To TRY things. To aspire, dream, work hard, fail, try again.

Get working.

Stop messing around with pseudo-life and psycho-babble. Start living.

Have a wonderful birthday! (altho - as I recall - my own 30th was horrible.) But this - too - shall pass. All shall yet be well.

Darx said...

Great quote. Very thought-provoking. Good for you for making a commitment; I might join you in that some day ;)

Steve Coxsey said...

Hi, Armelle -- and prophet. There's a lot of hostile intensity in this post that attacks your post. I want to reply to your discovery, and might include ideas that prophet expressed, but hopefully in a better way.

Barbara Sher talks about making a "temporary permanent commitment." She says flat-out that you do this to convince your whole self that you're really going to stick with something and ride it out, but you make the commitment for maybe 90 days. When you make that commitment, and start DOing, you start learning a lot about yourself. And since you have to stick with it, you can't back away just because it's difficult.

Barbara Winter talks about an idea she's heard from small business development speakers. Try out your business idea until you make your first $100, or your first sale, or whatever a reasonable benchmark is. By setting that goal, you commit to creating the product or providing the service and finding out how to sell it. You might learn that you can do this happily and easily, or you might learn the business plan doesn't work and needs some changes. But you learn by DOing.

So in that tiny little way, I agree with prophet that commitment doesn't really start until you DO what you commit to do. I know the Law of Attraction is about thoughts and emotional intensity, but I believe as soon as you STEP, that is when God (and the universe God created) starts to align with your effort.

The anxiety you feel says you are on to something big! Congratulations.

Steve

Unknown said...

Hey Darcy,
Thank you for your support.
Hugs

And Steve, thanks for your comment. It makes a lot of sense, and it feels like that's exactly what I am trying to do.
And well, commitment is worthless if there is no doing that comes from it. For sure.
The reason why I posted this, and why I am making myself accountable, is so I don't wriggle out of it by not deciding what to do by Friday.