Tuesday, May 22, 2007

New shoes, new walking sticks

Yesterday started tough.
The day before was really hard, and took its toll yesterday as well.
Alice and I were both tired, and the last bit before Estella felt like torture.
Yet it wasn't raining and the path wasn't too hard. But my feet were so sore, the shoes had really given up on me and I could feel it.
It was really tough. So in Estella we asked a policewoman where I could buy some "botas para andar" and off we went into town, to try and find the shop called Goyache that she had advised.
I bought some walking shoes that cost me only 40 euro, after much trying on and walking around and trying to talk to the man with my broken Spanish. I wasn't convinced by the boots but at that stage I was desperate and was scared I wouldn't find any other shop open, as it was already past 12am, and most shops in Spain close between 12 and 4pm.
The nice bonus was that I bought two mountaineering walking stick with antishock system and all, as I noticed that just one walking stick wasn't enough, and my left knee was getting sore.
Since then, my left knee feels much better.
Today I expected to be in agony after walking almost 20 km with the new shoes, but my feet were sore in a "normal" way only. So we'll see how it goes tomorrow.
It seems the weather has turned nicer, and it gets really warm by the end of the morning now.
And I keep meeting new people and having interesting conversations, as well as drinking nice Spanish wine...
I hope to have more internet time next time to talk more about the encounters I made.
In the meantime, be reassured, all is well, and life is beautiful.
I haven't fallen in love yet, although Spain is not far from taking my heart completely, with its gorgeous landscapes, lovely people and easy going way of life.
And who knows what might come yet!

No comments: