Sunday, May 20, 2007

mud, rain and thunder

Today was tough.
I had heard that the third and fourth days walking were potentially the hardest, but this was really really hard, even for people who had been walking for longer than I had.
It started quite well, with a lovely sunrise on a nicely foggy fresh morning. Plenty of birds, and flowers, absolutely gorgeous.
Then at around 9am, it started raining really badly. It was a big storm really, with lightning and thunder and all, and by the time I and my friend Alice arrived in Obanos, we were soaked. So we stopped in a bar, had a coffee and something to eat, and chatted for a while (i.e. almost an hour and a half...).
By the time we arrived in Puento La Reina (meaning bridge of the queen because the queen at some stage got the bridge built for the pilgrims because she was sick of seeing so many of them killed by the river), we could almost have stopped there for the night, as it was about 12 and the albergue was opening. But we felt fine, so we decided to book a bed in an albergue (which is rarely possible, but we were lucky with this one) 8 or 10 km later, and walk them.
However... Most of the path was mud. Some of it was very steep, and we ended up exhausted. Really exhausted.
But we made it.
My feet are sore for the first time tonight, and I am thinking of buying new shoes tomorrow, and throwing away the ones I have, as I noticed today that they are not comfortable enough to finish the way, and they are too old, the soles are too damaged. I prefer to have sore feet for two days while I break the new shoes in, and be fine for the next month, rather than be miserable for the rest of the walk. So there.
Apart from the hard day walk, it was beautiful, and the weather was fine this afternoon. Not that we enjoyed it that much, but at least it allowed our clothes to dry...
The meal tonight at the albergue was absolutely fabulous, and the lady who takes care of it is really lovely.
And as usual, I keep meeting more and more people and that is really nice.
So Ultreia, as they say!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Armelle,

I'm enjoying hearing about your adventures...and I'm so glad to hear that you are meeting some new people. It will certainly make the travels a little easier to get through. So sorry to hear about the bad weather though...that part certainly can't be fun. But my how you must be seeing some really cool things and meeting really cool people.

I just came back from a spiritual retreat...it was fantastic. It was uplifting and I felt like a huge burden was lifted from my shoulders. We all came away from there, rather on a 'high' so to speak. I loved it.

But it's back to the real world tomorrow...back to the j-o-b. Mind you, I'm really hopeful to see where God is going to take me.

Anyway, take care of yourself, and God Bless. Talk to you later.

Della

Unknown said...

Hi Della
Thanks for your comment!
I am glad you had a great time at your spiritual retreat.
The camino is starting to feel more and more like one to me.
Good luck for your job and working on your dreams, and thanks for thinking of me.
I can feel the thoughts of people like so many angels, and believe me, there are many times where I need them.
At the same time it is one of the most fabulous adventures of my life and I don't regret a second of it.